Healthy Eating at the State Fair
The fields are turning golden, and the state fair is right around the corner. The fair is a great way to soak up the last of the summer sun with your family and friends. Of course, a big part of the state fair is food. If you’re looking to eat healthily, don’t worry—we’ve got you covered with tips for how to approach food at the fair, plus a list of some of the healthier fair foods.
- Don’t arrive hungry. Eat before you go to the fair so that you’re not trying to make a meal out of fair food.
- Pack a water bottle. Drink water throughout your visit so that you stay hydrated and aren’t tempted to quench your thirst with sodas or other sugar-loaded beverages.
- Bring some snacks. Sliced fruits and veggies are always a good bet. They keep you feeling full but are low in calories, plus they travel well.
- Share food. Split up that elephant ear or take a few fries out of the basket and pass it on. That way you can taste everything, but fill up on more nutritious options.
- Make a plan. Plan what healthier options you’ll choose ahead of time so that it’s easier to avoid temptations. Check out the Washington State Fair’s list of healthy foods, as well as our top picks below.
- Have fun! The fair isn’t just about food. Creating a list of activities you’ll do at the fair can help you to focus on other sources of enjoyment at the fair beyond just the snacks.
If you’re craving salty food, try:
- A soft pretzel
- Popcorn with no butter
- A baked potato—just be sure not to overdo it on the toppings, which can add lots of calories.
If you’re craving savory food, try:
- Corn on the cob with no butter
- A grilled hamburger or garden burger
- A Caesar salad or Greek salad, dressing on the side
- A vegetarian corn dog
If you’re craving sweet food, try:
- A fresh fruit smoothie
- Sliced fruits
- Frozen yogurt
- Dole Whip soft-serve pineapple dessert
That said, even the best laid plans can go awry. If you overindulge at the state fair, don’t punish yourself—it’s just one afternoon, and you can return to eating healthily the next day, working with your team at Eviva to get back on track.
Want more tips for healthy eating? Schedule a consultation with the registered dietitians at Eviva. We’ll help you create a personalized diet plan that works for your lifestyle. Until then, enjoy the last of summer at the fair!